There is something about spring that sends flowers into bloom, energizes young and old, makes poets create masterpieces, and singers burst into song. Spring is regarded as the most beautiful season of the year, but if we examine it closely, we can learn many lessons from spring.
As I read these verses from Song of Songs, several things came to my mind:
“See! The winter is past;
the rains are over and gone.
12 Flowers appear on the earth;
the season of singing has come,
the cooing of doves
is heard in our land.
13 The fig tree forms its early fruit;
the blossoming vines spread their fragrance.
Arise, come, my darling;
my beautiful one, come with me.” (2: 11-13)
The first line says that winter is past. For those of you who live in colder climes, this past winter was especially harsh. In some places in the US, blizzards destroyed homes and even lives. Thousands were left without electricity for days. I know those folks are glad that winter is past.
- The winter is past means more than the snow and cold being over. Winter is a time of short days and long nights. It can be a very lonely time for some people. Limited sunshine hours bring on dark moods, which give rise to depression. Some people suffer from a seasonal type of depression called SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder.) Their depression lifts when winter is over and the days are longer.
- Winter being past also symbolizes giving up or forgetting the things of the past—past disappointments, failures, broken dreams and broken hearts.
- Flowers appear on the earth – What can brighten your home and help you throw aside the winter blues more than a bouquet of flowers? Flowers that had been lying dormant under the ground during winter appear as if by magic. You don’t have to spend a lot of money at the garden store; just take a walk in your neighborhood and you are sure to find some lilies, violets, marigolds, sunflowers, and others for which you may not know their names.
- The season of singing has come – Get up early in the morning, take a walk around the block and you will hear the melodious call of our feathered friends as they sing to one another. Another sure blues buster. If you are good at taking pictures, you may be able to capture one or two birds in flight.
- My beautiful one, come with me – Is it any wonder that spring is the time when most weddings take place? The sun is out, the days are longer, and the flowers are ready for her bouquet. It’s a time to love, to laugh, to have fun.
Spring is a time to let go of the past and embrace the future. You should not allow past disappointments to cloud your future. The COVID-19 pandemic that started in 2020 has plunged the world into darkness. The winter is not quite over, but we can see the sun peeping out from behind the clouds. It’s time to throw off the heavy cloak of depression, lift your head high and walk into a new season. Winter is past.
Spring is also t-shirt season. No more sweaters and coats. Browse this collection of t-shirts at Angie’s Health Coaching. org. I’m sure you’ll find something to greet this new season.