This quick and easy chilled pasta salad is a great way to keep cool on a hot day. This delicious side dish tastes even better after the flavors have a chance to mingle, so make it a day or two in advance to take to your next backyard party or casual gathering.
Orzo is high in carbohydrates but loaded with other nutrients that promote heart health and support digestion. It is usually made from white flour but can be made from whole-grain flour as well.
Tip: The capers and liquid add saltiness to this dish. Taste before adding additional salt.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes (includes time to cook orzo)
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 large (or 2 medium) tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1½ c. orzo pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 2 T. capers
- 1 T. caper liquid
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. fresh thyme leaves
1 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Add olive oil and minced garlic to a skillet set over medium heat. Sauté for 1-2 minutes, or just until the garlic starts to develop some color.
- Add tomatoes and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or just until tomatoes become soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked orzo, capers and liquid, lemon juice, thyme, and parsley with the warm tomato and garlic mixture. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight. Stir and serve chilled with grilled chicken breasts or your favorite entrée of choice. Enjoy!