With the end of 2021 almost in sight, you are probably looking at the past nine months and wondering what you have accomplished. If, like a lot of people, you don’t think you have much to shout about, then you may have to rethink what you need to do to reach your health goals in 2022.
The first thing you may have to do is give yourself some honest feedback on where you are on your health journey. Are you still at the starting point, have you run a little distance, did you drop out? If any of these happened and you still want to reach your health goals, don’t despair. You can always start over, but this time you may have to make a few changes.
- Plan. Your health journey should be planned carefully just as you would a vacation. You will not go on a trip without planning, will you? When will you start? How long will you stay? How will you get there? What will you do when you get there? Get the picture? Write your plan (goals) in your journal.
- Begin. Once you have decided what your goals are, you have to begin. Some folks may say, “I’m going to eat healthy,” but they have no start date. Before they realize it, days have passed and they are still eating burgers and fries.
- Be specific. Define what eating healthy means. Does it mean reducing your sugar intake, eating more fruits and vegetables, drinking more water, or maybe eating smaller portions? Write it down.
- Tell others. By telling others about your goals, you invite them to observe what you are doing and hold you accountable. When you know others are watching, you will be more likely to stick to your plans. Pretty soon your new way of eating will become a habit.
- Be organized. Depending on the type of trip you are going on, you will pack the type of gear you need. If it’s a hiking trip, you would pack proper shoes, protective clothing, water bottles etc. In the same way, if your goal is to eat healthy, you would shop for groceries that meet your goals – less sugary stuff, less processed food and more of the things you want to eat.
- Keep your eye on the prize. If your goals are worth achieving, then they are worth the effort you must put into them. Hikers hike with their goal in mind, whatever that is. While you are chomping on your salad or your nuts, keep thinking of how you would look and feel when you have achieved your goals.
- Enjoy the journey. This is important. If you hate the new foods you are eating, or you feel hungry and stressed out all the time, then you won’t continue the journey. You will drop out, which will lead to you feeling badly about yourself. If you are not meeting your goals, you may need support from someone —a professional or a trusted friend.
Reaching your health goals should not be difficult if it’s undertaken with the same drive and motivation that you put into finding your ideal job, your ideal home or your ideal future. By following the tips above, you should be able to reach your health goals and feel proud of yourself.
Drop me a line and let me know what areas you struggle with when trying to reach your health goals. I’ll be glad to help.
Have you checked out my online store yet? If not, please take a look. Maybe you’ll find a unique, inspirational gift that’s just right for you or someone else.