Do you wake up some mornings and wish you were someone else? Or wish you were in a different place, or that you could do something to make the world a better place? Or maybe it happens later in the day when you look in the mirror, pass in front of the television, or when you are driving to work.
I think it happens to all of us. As long as we’re living on this planet, we will have those moments when we wish we could wave a magic wand and make all the pain and hurt and disappointment of this world go away.
But of course, we know it’s not that easy. There is no magic wand, but there is Someone who can make the world—yours and mine— a better place. His name is Jesus Christ. He created this world and He came to earth to save it.
However, I’ll say something that may surprise you. It does not start with Jesus. It starts with you and me and every last one of us. We have to do our part to improve this world, to leave it better than when we got here. But how do we do that? Following are the basic ways we begin to effect change:
- Recognize that we cannot do it on our own. We need Someone bigger and more capable than we are.
- Ask Him to come into our lives and change us from the inside out.
- Wait for change to take place. Change may not be an overnight thing. Think of the caterpillar. It stays in the cocoon for some time until one day it emerges a beautiful butterfly. Change requires patience.
- Take action. The caterpillar is not entirely passive while it’s waiting. It’s spinning itself a silky cocoon, (chrysalis) preparing itself for what it will soon become.
- Be prepared to die. Like the caterpillar, you have to “die to self.” The caterpillar dissolves itself before it is fully formed. In the same way, you must surrender yourself completely, allow God to take control of your life and become the beautiful butterfly He created you to be. In other words, you must be born again.
So, what does all of this have to do with making the world a better place? If you have been transformed by the saving grace of Jesus Christ, you become a better person and your environment becomes a better place because you are in it. When you have been born again, God begins to show you how to behave, what to do, how to do it, and so many other things, Can you make the world a better place? The answer is yes.