You may have looked at someone and thought, if I drove the car he/she drives, I would be happy. Or, if I were as pretty/tall/slim as she is, I would be happy. Well, I hate to disappoint you; none of us — rich or poor, black or white, fat or thin–come into this world with a guarantee of happiness. So, how then can you be happy? When you win the lotto? When you marry Mr. Billionaire? Or maybe, when you have a child? Not really.
The first two will bring you all the money your little heart desires, and the last will provide the satisfaction that only a child can bring. But neither one can assure you of true, lasting happiness. So, what then is happiness? Quite simply, happiness is a choice. You can choose to be happy — in spite of the pandemic, in spite of being diagnosed with type2 diabetes or some other illness and despite being unmarried or childless.
Let us look at some ways you can find happiness.
- Seek out a relationship with God, through daily prayer, meditation and studying the Bible.
- Stop striving to be happy. If you are constantly focusing on finding happiness, you will miss the simple little things in your life that can bring you happiness.
- Know that happiness is fleeting. What brings you happiness this moment can be taken away from you in the next. The Bible says, “You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you” (Isaiah 26:3).
- Put the needs of others above your own. Instead of focusing only on yourself, try to find someone you can help.
- Look after your health. Let’s face it, you can’t be happy if you are in constant pain or you don’t feel well. Check with your physician or health coach regularly and follow their advice.
- Smile and the world smiles with you. Know that saying? When you smile, everything seems brighter and your mood becomes lighter. Try it!
Happiness rests with you. No person on this earth can make you happy. They can give you a certain sense of satisfaction and treat you well, but if you don’t have that inner peace, you would not be happy. So, look after your self, develop that relationship with Jesus Christ and you will find the happiness you seek. God bless.
If you enjoyed this blog post, please share it with your friends and sign up in the form below. Your name will be added to my mailing list and you will receive other offers and updates.