The coronavirus mandatory lockdown has made it difficult for many of us to keep up with our regular workout routine. Gyms and health clubs are closed, but you can still walk or bike around the clock, weather permitting. If neither of these is an option for you, you can still exercise within the four walls of your home. All you need is your body, a pair of dumbbells and your will.
As a type 2 diabetic, it is imperative that you keep up with your physical activity. This will help you lower blood sugar, strengthen your immune system, and improve your mood. These exercises are low intensity and can be done by almost anyone. If you are of a higher fitness level, you can always increase the repetitions. Ready? Clear the floor and let’s go:
- Begin by inhaling and exhaling deeply while standing with your feet hip width apart. As you inhale, rise up on your toes; exhale as you go down.
- March in place for 30 seconds. For increased intensity, raise your knees as high as you can. Breathe.
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, march in place for 30 seconds.
- Still holding the dumbbells, jog in place for 30 seconds. Breathe.
- With your back against the wall and arms stretched in front of you, slide down until you are in a sitting position. Go back up to a standing position. Repeat 10 times. For more intensity, hold each seated pose for 5 seconds.
- Do 10 push ups (or as many as you can) on the floor, against a table or wall.
- March in place for 60 seconds. Breathe.
- Sitting on a chair and holding your dumbbells, do 3 sets of biceps curls. One set is 10 repetitions.
- Sitting on a chair and holding your dumbbells, do 3 sets of triceps extensions by curling your arms upward then extending them backward as far as you can go. Squeeze the muscle at the back of your arm as you extend it.
- Jog in place for 60 seconds. Breathe.
- Begin your cool down with 10 side bends on each side. You may hold your dumbbells at your side.
- Repeat #1. Roll your shoulders forward, up, back and down. Inhale and exhale deeply.
Hope you enjoy your workout. You may no doubt think of other ways to increase your physical activity. Drop me a line and let me know how you keep up with your exercise while you are on lockdown. God bless