Your treatments are over and you are feeling a great sense of relief, as you should. You made it. Give yourself a high-five, but it’s not yet time to relax. You want to feel well and at the same time try to avoid that cancer returning. Some of the same guidelines you followed before your diagnosis still apply.
Here are some things you can do:
1. Keep all of your follow-up appointments. Now is not the time to slack off. It’s important to stay close to your doctors so they can monitor you and you can tell them about any concerns you may have. They may also want to order some tests.
2. Eat right. Proper nutrition will not only help to prevent your cancer returning, but it will prevent obesity which leads to heart disease and other conditions.
3. Exercise. Increasing your physical activity will help you reduce body fat and boost your energy level.
4. Quit smoking. This can’t be stressed enough. Smoking accounts for about 30% of all cancer deaths in the United States. If you need help kicking this habit, speak to your doctor.
5. Stay connected. Keeping up with your groups will give you the encouragement and support you need. Also, it helps when you reach out to others and share your story with them.
6. Live one day at a time. During your treatment, you may have put certain activities you once enjoyed on hold. Now you are anxious to get back to a normal routine, but nothing feels normal any more. What do you do? Take it one day at a time. Enjoy your family, your friends. Let them know you love and appreciate them. Take time to smell the roses – literally – read a book, listen to music and be thankful. You are still here.
If you need help in getting your life back on track following cancer, or if you are simply trying to meet your healthcare goals, why not fill in the form below for a free coaching session?
[contact-form][contact-field label=”Name” type=”name” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Email” type=”email” required=”true” /][contact-field label=”Website” type=”url” /][contact-field label=”Message” type=”textarea” /][/contact-form]